Hi Moms…Another RANT about the toxic things we unknowingly give our children:
My husband and I were headed out-of-town for the first time since the birth of our 5-month-old. His very capable mother was in town to care for our girl. I was busy trying to account for any possible emergency (Pediatrician’s number, check. Map to hospital, check. Fire extinguisher, Check. Hazmat suit …)
What we did not have in our emergency tool kit was something for an allergic reaction.
Allergic reactions are ‘all the rage’ these days. There has been a 50% increase in food allergies in the past 10 years. Allergic reactions account for > 300,00 ER visits each year. Severe allergic reactions result in lip, tongue and airway swelling that can result in death. I was not going to leave the country without the allergic reaction antidote, diphenhydramine, colloquially known as Benadryl.
I went to several different drug stores looking for a chemical-free version of Benadryl or a generic, ultimately landing at Phamaca, the holistic-ish drug store in our neighborhood. Even they only offered diphenhydramine with red dye and preservatives.
All is takes is a quick google search of Red #40 to discover it’s not a good idea to ingest it, but a few highlights include: it’s derived from petroleum and causes DNA damage. Yet it’s been approved for use in candy, cereal, baked goods, drugs and cosmetics.
Given the choice of potential DNA damage or death from anaphylactic shock, I purchased the product. But why the HECK isn’t there a product that can treat allergic reactions that doesn’t include ingredients known to be harmful?
(Oh, also notable: the generic touts being “gluten-free” but has high fructose corn syrup in it)